- Ensure potential recipients are aware that they will not definitely be transplanted, but it may depend on the results of the cross match, or on the kidney being suitable.
- Patients who are not suitable for transplant need discharge sheet with appropriate reasons documented. Such patients need to be treated with great sensitivity as they are likely to be very disappointed indeed.
- Inform theatre or anaesthetist of any special problems as appropriate.
- Consent for virology tests: the physician who clerks the recipient should obtain verbal consent.
- Consent for the transplant: surgeon will obtain final consent for the transplant operation.